Author: Jennifer L. Krizanek
Do you ever hear yourself saying “I just can’t keep up with Google’s algorithm changes!” Don’t worry, you’re not the only one! Google changes its algorithm approximately 500-600 times a year, with major updates every few months that affect search results in a BIG way. Panda, Penguin – do any of those names ring a bell???
Read on…for the good, the bad, and the ugly…
- INCLUDE indexable text
- AVOID ‘SEO copy’
- AVOID country selectors
If the content doesn’t add value to the user experience, then don’t use it.
- Create truly compelling content that people will link to or share. Content can take on many forms such as: lists, quizzes, articles, infographics, comics, videos, etc.
URL Clean Up
- Keep them short and clean (these get clicked on twice as often!).
- Include keywords.
- Separate the words with hyphens, not underscores.
- AVOID parameters in the ‘query string’.
- Google filters out duplicate content, so it’s a no brainer….AVOID duplicate content.
- Duplicate content includes: content that appears on other sites and /or repeated content on your own site.
- AVOID using manufacturer-supplied content. Rewrite or modify it with additional copy that is unique.
- Use Google Webmaster Tools to check your site.
- Use Blekko to check your site using the ‘duptext’ slashtag.
- Separate websites + multiple countries + repeat of same content…needs to get “labeled” using the preferred geographic region tool in Google Webmaster Tools.
- Add extra meaning to your data that will allow more information about your site to be displayed in the search results.
Keep Learning…From Your Competition
- Obtain a list of keywords that your competitors are using.
- Examine your competitors sites’ title tags and metatags.
Read the full article here.
Want to learn Five Ways You Can SUPERCHARGE Your SEO with Product Information Management (PIM)???
Download the latest white paper