It seems like mcommerce is the buzzword on everyone’s mind lately – I know many of my recent posts have revolved around this hot topic. You’d think we’d all be sick of hearing about it by now, but this couldn’t be further from the truth! Mobile commerce is exploding with growth and opportunity; we’d have to be completely stupid to not give it the attention it deserves.
I stumbled upon this season-appropriate infographic (created by Shopify) that examines the expected mcommerce trends to affect this holiday season.
(Click then zoom to enlarge)
Key takeaway statistics (that will blow your mind!):
- Mcommerce currently makes us 17% of all ecommerce sales, but will reach 37% by September 2013 Tweet this stat!
- Mcommerce sales are predicted to reach $31 billion ($119 billion globally) by 2015 Tweet this stat!
- 1 in 4 purchases this holiday season will be made on a mobile device, by next year it will be nearly 1 in 2 Tweet this stat!
- Purchases via Apple’s iPhone and iPad make up 80% of total mcommerce sales Tweet this stat!
- Purchases via Windows and Blackberries don’t even account for 1% of total mcommerce sales Tweet this stat!
- Monthly mcommerce sales have more than quadrupled in the last year Tweet this stat!
- Shoppers spend 12% more money when buying via tablets versus phones Tweet this stat!
- Wyoming had the highest mcommerce order growth rate in the U.S. for the year, at +1280% Tweet this stat!
- Nevada showed the least mcommerce order growth rate in the U.S. for the year, at +368% Tweet this stat!
- Mobile traffic is predicted to account for 40% of all web traffic in 2013 Tweet this stat!
- According to Forrester Research, 71% on online retailers aren’t mobile ready Tweet this stat!
These numbers are huge. Mcommerce is definitely not going anywhere — so do yourself a favor and get on board (if you haven’t already). Don’t be in that 71% of online retailers that aren’t mobile ready; make sure you have a strong mobile strategy to capitalize on this massive opportunity.
Learn more about how product information management enables mobile commerce in the white paper below.